One unusual aspect of the Victoria and St George’s RV was that they included a mounted infantry company. During the Boer War they saw service in South Africa with the City Imperial Volunteers.
In the 1908 reorganisation which led to the formation of the Territorial Army , the role of Mounted Infantry was passed entirely to the Yeomanry. As a result the Mounted Infantry Company of the Victoria & St George’s transferred en bloc to form B Squadron of the 3rd County of London Yeomanry (Sharpshooters).
To commemorate the event Capt O.A.Howell, in his capacity as Company Commander, presented the silver porringer to himself as Squadron Commander of B Sqn The Sharpshooters…
And the direct link to the original Sharp Shooters was established.