Best Uniforms

In 1797, Captain Best had this helmet badge made. It is named to 'CAPTAIN BEST CHILSTON TROOP’  and is hallmarked 1797. 

Chilston Park was then owned by the Best family.  It is midway between Ashford and Maidstone on the boundary of East and West Kent. It still exists there as a hotel.

But there never was a Chilston Troop in the East Kent Yeomanry.  It would appear that Captain Best wished to have his own Troop based on Chilston but was denied that privilege

In the Mote Park Review of 1799,  Captain Best was still part of the Provender Troop.