Between the Wars

97th (Kent Yeomanry) Army Brigade Royal Field Artillery, Falmer Camp 1929. In this first stage of mechanisation, towing lorries were loaned by the Royal Army Service Corps just for annual camp. The battery and troop officers still rode their horses into battle

Kent Yeomanry RA 1920-1929

In 1920, the wartime amalgamation of the East and West Kent Yeomanry was made permanent. The new regiment became

97th (Kent Yeomanry) Army Brigade Royal Field Artillery

East Kent was represented by

  • —385 (Duke of Connaught's Own Yeomanry) Battery Canterbury
  • —386 (Duke of Connaught's Own Yeomanry Battery Ashford.

West Kent was represented by

  • —387 (Queen's Own Yeomanry) Battery, Maidstone
  • —388 (Queen's Own Yeomanry) Battery, Bromley. 

The Regiment was equipped with the 4.5 in howitzer and the 18 Pounder field gun.  In 1927, horses were replaced by tractors to tow the guns although battery staff still rode horses.  In 1931, the Regiment was were completely mechanised and the tractors were replaced by trucks.