The Kent and Sharpshooters Yeomanry
Edenbridge before and during World War One
From Belgian refugees at the beginning to wounded soldiers throughout, the local people cared for all and sundry, opening their homes and their hearts.
When local Voluntary Aid Detachments (VAD) could not find a large enough building for a hospital they simply opened 3. Eden Hall, Marlpit Hill and Church House (which is now the Eden Valley Museum).
Out of 481 cases treated at Eden Hall there was only one death. Private John Lewis Behagg of the Bedfordshire Regt. died in May 1916 and is buried in Mark Beech churchyard.
Above left: Driver, medic and dog pictured with WW1 ambulance at Eden Hall, 1914-1918 Image no. P2013.2013_2
Above Right: Private. Behagg’s War Graves Commission headstone is the only WW1 grave in Mark Beech churchyard.
Left: This certificate was given to Vera, one of Countess Riccardi-Cubitt’s daughters who served as a nurse at Eden Hall, her pre-war home.